The name of this small cul-de-sac comes from the Alte Büttelei, which was located here. This name originally also included Portechaisengasse. When in 1484 the Büttelei was moved, this place was called Gang after the old Büttelei, later simply Büttelhof. Before 1937 the alley was renamed Alte Büttelei. After the war, it was still recorded on the oldest city map from 1946 under the somewhat strange name Mało Dobrych (Street of the Few Good). A short time later it disappeared.