Am Glockentor


The name goes back to the Holy Spirit (Heiligengeist) Hospital, which the Teutonic Order moved to Tobiasgasse in 1357. Therefore, in the late 14th century it was renamed Alte Heilig-Geistgassse, to distinguish it from Tobiasgasse, which was then called Neue Heilig-Geistgasse. Am/Im Glockentor was called in the 17th and 18th century only the westernmost part between Laternengasse and Holzmarkt, which was built only in the course of the 17th century and named after a bell foundry located here, originally extra portam. In the middle of this alley was probably the so-called bread market, which took place once a week, where strangers were allowed to sell bread, as well as local bakers, whose bread was considered too small by the elders of the bakers' guild and who were therefore excluded from regular sales in the bread banks.



Polish name(s)

n. e.

Source(s): Stephan, W. Danzig. Gründung und Straßennamen. Marburg 1954, S 101ff