The first-mentioned old name always applied to the side of the street on which the Dominican monastery was located. Since the name Kleine Lawendelgasse for the later Zweite Priestergasse has been known since the 17th century, the name Große Lawendelgasse must also date from that time, although it was first mentioned in 1763. The name itself belongs to the group of ironic names, in this case Lawendelgasse was a smelly, dirty alley. The cause could be the nearby, located in the Büttelei, urban knacker's yard. Even today it is called Lawendelgasse.