The Fish Market was established after 1342 on the basis of the Order's Handfeste for the citizens of the Rechtstadt. It was laid out on the banks of the Mottlau between the Rechtstadt and the former castle in order to more conveniently fulfill the obligation to grant the Order a right of first refusal. An unidentifiable part of the fish market was called Hintermarkt or Hinterfischmarkt in a document in 1645. Since this document reflects the view of the town hall, it could be the part near the former Castle of the Teutonic Order (Ordensschloss).



Polish name(s)

n. e.

Source(s): Stephan, W. Danzig. Gründung und Straßennamen. Marburg 1954, S 94 ff