Holzmarkt

History

This name is mentioned for the first time in 1581. Since the 18th century the part of the Holzmarkt between Breitgasse and Heilig Geistgasse, separated from the rest of the square by a row of stalls, has been called the strawberry market. This separation was not lifted until 1853. The properties on the old town side of the market were named Unter den Weiden in 1523.

District

Altstadt

Polish name(s)

Targ Drzewny

Source(s): Stephan, W. Danzig. Gründung und Straßennamen. Marburg 1954, S 57f