Plateo Tertia, Schutnickelgasse, Mittelgasse, Strandgasse, Kolkowgasse
The name platea tertia comes from the fact that the streets on the Speicherinsel (today: Wyspa Spichrzów) were initially numbered, once from the north to Milchkannengasse, and a second time starting at Milchkannengasse, heading south. So this alley was simply called Third Street. Since the Kuttelhof was one of the oldest buildings on the Speicherinsel, the ex oppositio Kuttelhof served to specify the location of the alley. Around 1514 the name Adebargasse came up, which - at times at the same time as Schutnickelgasse - remained until the war. Both names were borrowed from the warehouses in this alley. The term Schutnickel is either a corruption of the Slavic szkutnik (shipbuilder), or it is made up of the terms Schute and Nickelein (impish imp, spirit). The post-war name means wheat lane.
Related and previous names