Altstädtische Burgstraße, Rechtstädtische Burgstraße, Burggasse
Up until the 17th century, this street spanned from the Holzmarkt ("wood market") to An der Schneidemühle. From the 16th to the 17th century these streets were still called Burggasse or Burgstraße. The newer part of the street, between An der Schneidemühle and the Fischmarkt, was initially - in 1648 - called Neue Gasse or Burgstrasse. The name Neue Gasse did not catch on, and Burgstrasse was later transferred to what later became Burgstrasse, which until then had been called Schloßstraße. The older part of the old was called Altstädtische Burgstraße, while the younger part was called Rechtstädtischer Burgstraße. This younger part retained its name when the older part was called the Altstädter Graben at the end of the 18th century. Only after 1817 was this designation extended to the section between Fischmarkt and An der Schneidemühle. The piece between Holzmarkt and Großer Mühlengasse was popularly called Grüzmühlenmakergasse in the middle of the 19th century. The area around house number 299 (110) was also popularly known in 1831 as Auf den Kurzen Brettern.
Between 1904 and 1919 the photographer Franz Dähling was located at number 93.
Related and previous names