1361 platea ancuficum, Ankerschmiedetor
Developed before 1361. In 1378 the street first appeared named after the Ankerschmiede tower (Ankerschmiedeturm). The name Ankerschmiedegasse first appears in 1415. Originally, the name only applied to the section between Hundegasse and the city wall. Only after the fortifications were expanded at the beginning of the 17th century and the old city wall was demolished was the lane expanded to the known dimensions. The section between Ankerschmiedeturm and Winterplatz was temporarily called Ankerschmiedetor.
Today's name Ulica Kotwiczników is a correct translation of the old name. Ankerschmiede is an "anchor smith."
Related and previous names
1361 platea ancuficum