Platea Braseatorum, Brauergasse, Pleatea Canum
Initially, this street was called Brauergasse (brewer's street). From 1378, the name Hundegasse comes up, and both names are used in parallel until 1415. Only the latter name is used from that year on. It is possible that the name was derived from the dogs kept on the Stadthof at the western end of the street to guard the Speicherinsel. However, it is more likely that the name came from the local Hund family. The western part of this street was named Zaggengasse in 1806.
Related and previous names