Brotmarkt, Platea Sancti Spiriti
This street was mentioned as early as 1366 as "platea sancti spiritus" (street of the holy ghost). Its name goes back to the Holy Ghost Hospital (or, in German, Heiliger Geist Hospital).
The Teutonic Order moved the hospital to the Tobiasgasse in 1357, which is why this part of the street was also referred to as the Alte Heilige Geistgasse (Old Holy Ghost Street) afterwards. Tobiasgasse was also referred to as the Neue Heilige Geistgasse (New Holy Ghost Street) after that.
In the middle of this alley was, as far as history books tell, the bread market (Brotmarkt). It was a weekly market during which foreigners to town were allowed to sell bread. Merchant also sold second grade baked goods from local Gdansk bakers whose breads were considered too small by the the bakers' guild (and therefore excluded from regular sale).
Centuries ago, the street was terminated by gates on either end, like many of the other streets running in parallel with it. In 1378, both of these gates were referred to as "Alte Heilige Geistore" (translated: Old Holy Ghost gates). In the 15th century, the names "hilliges Geistdoer bym water" (by the water) und "hilliges Geist- doer by der calegassen" (the Western end, by the Holzmarkt). The latter gate was demolished in 1803.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, the Western part (between Laternengasse and Holzmarkt) this street as also called Am Glockentor, a gate named after the a bell foundry in that area built in the 17th century.
The birthplace of philosopher Arthur Schoppenhauer is at Heiligen-Geist-Gasse 114 (now ul. św. Ducha 47).
Related and previous names
Platea Sancti Spiriti